Sunday, December 13, 2015

1914 Photos Showing the Construction of the Old US Post Office at 7th & Taylor.

The Cobble Building on the NW corner of 7th & Taylor was built in 1914 and was originally the US Post Office here in Amarillo. At the time three other buildings were already on the three other corners of 7th & Taylor. On the SW corner was the St. Charles Apartment Building. On the SE corner, kitty-corner from the Post Office, was the old Weather Bureau. And on the NE corner was the 2-story Moore-Poston Building. The following photographs were taken before and during the construction of the old post office in 1914.
 
This photo was taken from the yard of the old Weather Bureau at 7th & Taylor, looking northwest at the site of the future post office. Notice that 4th & Taylor is unpaved, but has sidewalks crossing over at each corner of the intersection. The backside of the old Opera House can be seen at the left edge of the photo. Also, the flagpole in the yard of the Weather Bureau can be seen in the foreground.

This photo shows the site being prepared for construction.

This photo shows the construction site with the still doomed Potter County Courthouse in the background. The dome of the courthouse was removed in 1915 to add a 4th floor, so this is evidence that this photo was taken before 1915.

This photo shows the construction site, looking southwest. The backside of the old Grand Opera House can be seen in the upper right corner of the photo.

This photo shows the construction site in the foreground and the backsides of the old Grand Opera House and the Green Brothers Furniture Company, both of which faced Polk Street.

This photo shows the construction site with the St. Charles Apartment in the background on the left side of the photo and the backside of the old Grand Opera House on the right side. The old Polk Street Methodist Church can also be seen in the distant background.

 
This is another photo of the construction site, looking north.

This photo shows the construction site, looking northwest past empty lots to reveal buildings on Polk Street.

This photo from in front of the St. Charles Apartment Building, looking northwest. You can see the corner of the sidewalk in front of the St. Charles Apartment Building in the lower left-hand corner of the photo, next to the fire hydrant.




This photo shows the nearly completed Post Office with the St. Charles Apartment Building across the street in the background.

This photo shows an interior shot of the Post Office.

This is another interior shot of the Post Office.

1 comment: